[Crystal-core] Free models? (Re: License change)
Juhana Sadeharju
2006-12-03 13:03:22 UTC
If you feel this is too much for your own artwork that you contributed
to CC then you are free to changed the licensing of your own
model/texture/sound to the by-nc version again. Just let me know.
Do anyone know any free model/texture collection?
By textures I mean the ready-to-use textures possibly with normal
and height maps, not the unedited photos. Models should be as
detailed as needed in future engines, and rigged if animatable.
Models like humans, horses, other animals, clothes, etc.

Check the few example screenshots of the game Oblivion for what
I mean. All screenshots shows what the modders have added or
improved in the game. (Taken from tessource.net)
http://www.funet.fi/~kouhia/oblivionmodscreenshots.tar.gz

A couple of explanations:
The default Oblivion has poor terrain textures. The modders have
improved the terrain textures, and added distant grass. Oblivion
has poor LODs -- distant cities and buildings are not visible.
That could be a game decision, but it is still unnatural. The Almost
Everything mod adds the distant billboard LODs. Oblivion humans
wear diapers by default, and many mods attampt to fix it.
(And I'm trying to figure out how the modders do this kind of things.)

Crystal Core's scenery seems to be unnatural, and outdated if
my opinion counts. It would be nice if we could arrange a demo
which features natural scenery with humans and animals, just like
in Oblivion or better.

Juhana
for developers of open source graphics software
pascal tempier
2006-12-03 14:25:19 UTC
Hello Juhana

We are just waiting for your improvements :)
i think Xotic already does a good job, if you fell you can contribute by
replacing current models with better ones or adding new models you are free
to do so.

Except for the scale in outdoors environnement CS can not do the same thing
because of background loading which allow for bigger stuff in oblivions.
For indoor areas and all the effect in oblivion you should be able to do
this with CS, it has LOD and whatever, almost the same set of shaders but
for water reflection and hdri (which peoples dont't like anyway in oblivion
and other games).

As per the texture library, i did one myself (
http://orogor.no-ip.com/~orogor/textures.zip), but generally speaking Xotic
textures are better quality, i mostly focused ont he mass and choice to help
for quick start up, i even ripped some of his.

As for the model, as i said, feel free to contribute with rigged characters
and monsters including whatever you want
(glow,normal,height,diffuse,specular,reflection,lod).

Pascal (orogor) Tempier
Jorrit Tyberghein
2006-12-03 16:00:35 UTC
Post by Juhana Sadeharju
Crystal Core's scenery seems to be unnatural, and outdated if
my opinion counts. It would be nice if we could arrange a demo
which features natural scenery with humans and animals, just like
in Oblivion or better.
Well. First CS has to be capable of doing that. Secondly it is easier
said then done to make something like that. If you know someone who
can do that (for free!) then please send him/her to us.

Greetings,
--
Project Manager of Crystal Space (http://www.crystalspace3d.org)
and CEL (http://cel.crystalspace3d.org)