[Crystal-core] New Terrain (Anders)
S A WOOLERY
2006-09-20 05:02:17 UTC
Forgive me if this is the wrong format, but I'm a little new to the source forge mailing list thing.
Im not sure if I will have time this week to sketch anything out, however I did have a good Idea as far as breaking up the level or at least a large part of it into more discreet logical chunks. The recent shipwreck could provide an opportunity to break up areas with chunks of wreckage, smoked out areas, pools of burning fuel/oil (or maybe a hazardous coolant type fluid), and of course you could have trenches dug up by the ship and large pieces dredging through the soil. You could also tie this into a few simple "fetch" missions where the character has to collect a few items from the wreckage exposing the other elements of the terrain one by one in a linear manner and providing natural boundries between them. Once again I'll mock something up if I can squeeze it in.

Steven Woolery
Amir Taaki
2006-09-20 08:45:20 UTC
Post by S A WOOLERY
[...]
Well the idea is that the gameplay flows linearly, but that the area isn't
designed as such. I think this is probably more superior as its more
realistic, and backtracking is less time consuming.

You still have to find the wreckage, and unless the level is also designed
linearly, then you will still have to explore the level. Or do you mean the
wreckage is actually blocking parts of the level?
Steven Woolery
Jorrit Tyberghein
2006-09-20 08:52:31 UTC
Hmm... I don't want to make the gameplay too linear either. I feel we
should allow a few different ways to solve some stuff and also don't
force that the areas are played in some specific order.

Greetings,
Post by Amir Taaki
Well the idea is that the gameplay flows linearly, but that the area isn't
designed as such. I think this is probably more superior as its more
realistic, and backtracking is less time consuming.
You still have to find the wreckage, and unless the level is also designed
linearly, then you will still have to explore the level. Or do you mean the
wreckage is actually blocking parts of the level?
Post by S A WOOLERY
Steven Woolery
Support Crystal Space. Donate at
https://sourceforge.net/donate/index.php?group_id=649
Hakim Achterberg
2006-09-20 08:56:47 UTC
Hi Amir,

Actually the gameplay is only semi-linear in the first part of the game
to let the player start up, and to make it easier for us to create a
first level. The goal is to make a more free approach of the quests, I
think something similar to Baldurs Gate. Where the order of doing things
can make it harder or easier. Some quests are optional, but might give
advantages. So you can play the game more than once without having
exactly the same route. Preferably there are some quests that rule the
other way more or less out. So you'd have to play the game more than
once to see everything (I know that this keeps people play Baldurs Gate
more than once, because they want to see every aspect of the game)

- Hakim
Anders Wisur
2006-09-23 12:03:35 UTC
Some definite closed areas are needed i think, as you need the
powerstation to run certain stuff from the ship, as the batteries are
all flat from the impac't and the solar cells got damaged.

Making some things a high priority. As defence is very poor while power is down.

This should open for most non-linear and non restricting gameplay, but
we need some linearity. I especially like Amir's idea of some scout
tower etc.

Burning pit's of fire near the ship could be cool yes, but very
unlightly in large open areas far away from the crash.

Anders